WORLD BOOK NIGHT COMPETITION

WBN_covers_with_logoI have applied to be a World Book Night giver every year since its birth back in 2011.

2015 was my year, it seems.

The aim of the event – which runs on the 23rd April – is to encourage people to read more. We have so many distractions these days that it’s very easy to forget that reading is actually just as fun (if not more so) than catching up on Made In Chelsea or checking your ex’s Instagram.

I have always loved books myself. Feeding my habit with anything I could lay my hands on and begging my dad to read me my favourites before bed as a child, it’s safe to say I was a book worm. However, much like many of you, a busy schedule means that I find it very easy to neglect one of my favourite past times.

But every time I actually bother to embark upon the next chapter of whatever I’m reading, I remind myself how great it is to visit famous faces, far off lands and fantastical story lines from the comfort of my own duvet. The sad fact is though, some non-readers just don’t know what they’re missing out on. So many of us weren’t encouraged to read as youngsters, stunting a life-long enjoyment of the sport and many, I believe, just simply haven’t found the sorts of books they enjoy yet. But that’s why World Book Night is here: to remind us that there are billions of stories still waiting to be read, to launch us out of our comforts zones into completely different times and places and to encourage us to indulge in one of the more simple pleasures in life. It’s something I feel very strongly about and I am lucky to be a part of the cause.

Out of 20 novels, I chose Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen to hand out. What I do with these 18 copies is entirely up to me. And I’ve decided that I’d like to give some to you. Although I plan to donate a few to shelters and a number to schools, I’ve reserved five copies for my readers as a thank you for coming back to read my posts time and time again.

All you have to do to be in with a chance of nabbing one of these limited edition novels is:

1. Choose your favourite quote from any book and tell me why you love it so. (Please include the title of the book- I might want to add it to my list!)
  2. Don’t forget to include your name and email address so I can get hold of you if you’re a winner!
  3. I will choose my five favourites and get a copy sent out to you on the 23rd April.

And that’s it.

All I ask, is that when you’re done with your copy, you pass it on to someone else to enjoy- don’t just let it get dusty on your book shelf for years to come. That’s pointless. The aim is to spread a love of reading as a far as we can, so let’s see how far these books can reach.

Here’s my favourite quote for some inspiration:

“He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”

Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights

18 copies are currently on their way to me right now… does one belong to you?

You have ten days to enter and find out. Wherever you are in the world.

Good luck!

17 Comments

1. fleur April 21, 2015 / 7:45 am

Ahh, so hard to chose favourite from any book- so many good books! So many good words! So many great quotes already!!
    This is my most recent fav, which I like as it has a bit of a sting and makes me ponder.
    “…the lesson seemed to be that what you acomplish will never matter so much as where you fail.” – We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

2. Heidi April 20, 2015 / 6:44 pm

‘And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.’

Roald Dahl x

• thelondonladybird April 26, 2015 / 12:20 pm

WINNER!!!!

congrats heidi! send me your address and i’ll get your book sent over to you! xx (thelondonladybird@gmail.co.uk

3. charlene obrien April 16, 2015 / 9:53 am

No, I don’t think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That’s what’s wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.
    Rhett Butler: Gone with the wind (best hero in a book, ever).

4. Charles April 14, 2015 / 3:28 pm

‘If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together…
    There is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart…
    I’ll always be with you’

Winnie the pooh

• thelondonladybird April 14, 2015 / 8:09 pm

longest quote ever charles?

5. Cat Fish April 14, 2015 / 7:51 am

You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.
    Winnie the Pooh

Sometimes when you need guidance in your life, Pooh can give it to you!

6. Catherine April 13, 2015 / 11:06 pm

Hello, what a wonderful post,!
    Sorry this is a bit of a long one:

‘What if she doesn’t worry about her body and eats enough for all the growing she has to do? She might revel in all the freedoms that seem so trivial to those who could take them for granted; she might dream seriously the dreams that seem so obvious to those who grew up with them really available. Who knows what she would do? Who knows what it would feel like?’

Naomi Wolf, The Beauty Myth

• thelondonladybird April 26, 2015 / 12:19 pm

WINNER!!!!

send me your address cat tingle!

7. Marielo Gomez April 13, 2015 / 6:13 pm

Hi, I just found your blog and love it. I’ve recently done a post about reading too. I’ve been converted into a book worm and it’s the best! Here’s my quote-

“You see, some things I can teach you. Some you learn from books. But there are things that, well, you have to see and feel.” – Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns

• thelondonladybird April 13, 2015 / 6:46 pm

i just had a look at your blog! LOVE gone girl and a thousand splendid suns… adding ‘wild’ to my list… thanks.

keep up with the blogging and jobbing… you’ll get there. although be prepared for the “oh, i’m 26 and still unsure of life”. but i’m sure you’ve heard that a million times before!

keep blogging!

8. Imani April 13, 2015 / 4:38 pm

“You must never behave as if your life belongs to a man. Do you hear me?” Aunty Ifeka said. “Your life belongs to you and you alone.”
    ― Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Half of a Yellow Sun

I love it because it’s a truth that should be reinforced to both men and women. Do what makes you happy and don’t listen to single soul – unless they have something helpful to say. This book is wonderful, it explores gender roles and colonialism and is written by a fab woman with some great TED talks which you should all watch.

9. Imani April 13, 2015 / 4:35 pm

― Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Half of a Yellow Sun

10. Laura April 13, 2015 / 2:51 pm

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.
    Dr. Seuss

11. Cha Cha April 13, 2015 / 2:44 pm

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that” Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

12. Ben April 13, 2015 / 2:40 pm

The curves of your lips rewrite history . Dorian Gray.